Monday, March 12, 2007

Getting Older


Well, since the last blog. a lot has happened. Andrew played another baseball game. They did a great job, but unfortunately they lost, better luck next time. My friends took me out for my pre-birthday lunch, which was really nice. On my official birthday, we had to head to the next race, so Chris took me out for a quick lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant, we picked Andrew up from school, and hit the road.

The Embry-Riddle jet team headed down to Moroso Motorsports Park this weekend for their Chevy Show. We arrived and set things up, we had the opportunity to meet Mike and Maria that run the Interceptor jet funny car. Chris and Andrew had planned to take me out to a nice place for dinner, but we started watching racing and talking, we ended up eating at the track.

We headed back to the hotel to check in and get some rest for the next day, but there were others who had bigger plans. I was racing the Thriller jet dragster, the crew was staying at the same hotel, so we decided to go down to the lobby and talk racing.

Saturday morning and the sun is shining, and I mean shining. This was the first heat of the spring, and man it got hot. E. Lowe was of course on hand to help with the car this weekend, Chuck and Chris Foster came out to make sure everything ran smooth. George DeWees from Embry-Riddle brought out some students to help crew the car as well. Our pit area was full, and we had a lot of fun.

Nitro again was the hit of the race. He dazzled everyone that walked by. Of course I could be a little bias. We were scheduled to make two passes, the Embry-Riddle jet dragster powered down the quarter mile just like a bracket car.

On the final run of the evening, Chris had planned a surprise Birthday party for me at the track. The crew had decorated my pit with black balloons to celebrate my 40th birthday. They also had a huge cake for everyone to enjoy. I was very surprised, and we all had a great time. It made turning 40 a lot easier.

Sunday, with the time change we didn't get a lot of sleep, but it is back to the race track for another day of fun. The Embry-Riddle jet dragster made her final two passes without a problem, and ended the weekend on a high note. Peas & Carrots, the concessions at the racetrack, supplied us with food to get us home, which was great as I was too tired to cook.

We have a couple of days off, and then we hit the road again for Columbus, GA for the Thunder in the Valley airshow this weekend, March 17 & 18. I am going to meet back up with my buddy from the Aeroshell team who was so kind to give me on ride at Oshkosh last year.

Thanks so much for everyone who came out to the races last weekend. I hope to catch you on the road real soon.

Luv ya,
Elaine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job at the races. Can't wait to see you again.